University Hospitals Case Medical Center is also known as University Hospitals of Cleveland (UHC) and can be traced back to the Civil War. The Ladies Aid Society of the First Presbyterian Church (Old Stone Church) operated a “Home for the Friendless” to assist persons displaced by the Civil War. Seeing the need for a hospital to provide medical care for the poor of Cleveland, a group of civic leaders and parishioners of Old Stone Church formed the Cleveland City Hospital Society, which was incorporated on May 21, 1866, “to found a hospital for the reception, care, and medical treatment of sick and disabled persons.” The first hospital opened in 1866 in a small frame house on Wilson Street and was referred to as the “Wilson Street Hospital.” By 1875, the hospital had outgrown the building and was relocated to the former Marine Hospital facility (located at East 9th and Lakeside Avenue), which the trustees leased from the federal government. When the City of Cleveland decided to build its own hospital in 1888, the name was changed to Lakeside Hospital.
In 1897, Lakeside Hospital signed a formal affiliation agreement with Western Reserve University School of Medicine. About the same time construction began on a new hospital modeled after the pioneering pavilion design of Johns Hopkins University Hospital. The new multi-pavilion Lakeside Hospital was opened in 1898 and the Lakeside Training School for Nurses was established the same year. In other parts of the city, the Babies and Children’s Dispensary was established in 1906 and joined Rainbow Cottage and Lakeside Hospital in providing medical care for the children of Cleveland. The Maternity Home was established in 1891 to provide obstetrical care; it was renamed MacDonald Hospital in 1936.
In 1925, Lakeside Hospital joined with Babies and Children’s Hospital and the Maternity Hospital to form University Hospitals of Cleveland. A year later Rainbow Hospital, located in South Euclid, affiliated with UHC. In the mid-1920’s, construction began on new hospital facilities as well as a new School of Medicine, the Institute of Pathology and Maternity Hospital (MacDonald Women’s Hospital) (1929) in the University Circle area. In 1931, the new Lakeside Hospital and Leonard C. Hanna House were dedicated. Two decades later, Howard M. Hanna Pavilion (1956) for psychiatric care was opened and, in 1962, the Joseph T. Wearn Laboratory for Medical Research was dedicated. The Benjamin Rose Hospital (1953), one of the nation’s first geriatric hospitals, affiliated with UHC in 1957. In 1969, it became part of University Hospitals of Cleveland and its name changed to Abington House. The Robert H. Bishop, Jr. Building, housing operating rooms, radiology services and a new cafeteria was opened in 1967. In 197l, a new children’s hospital was built, housing both Babies and Children’s Hospital and Rainbow Hospital. In 1974, both hospitals were combined under one Board of Trustees as Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital. The 190-bed Leonard and Joan Horvitz Tower, opened on April 15, 1997, became the most technologically advanced and family oriented pediatric facility in the nation.
New additions to the medical complex in the 1970s and 1980s included the Mabel Andrews Wing (1972) of the Institute of Pathology, the George M. Humphrey Building (1978), and the Harry J. Bolwell Health Center (1986). University Hospitals of Cleveland’s main campus includes: Alfred and Norma Lerner Tower (1994), Samuel Mather Pavilion (1994) and Lakeside Pavilion for adult medical and surgical care; MacDonald Women’s Hospital (1891); Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital (1887); University Psychiatric Center at Hanna Pavilion (1956), and Bolwell Health Center (1986). University Hospitals of Cleveland and its academic affiliate, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, form Ohio’s largest biomedical research center. In 1999, the Research Institute of University Hospitals of Cleveland was created. The state of the art research facility is now a joint collaboration between the hospital and the School of Medicine known as the Case Research Institute.
In 2006, as part of a broad strategy to build a strong “UH brand,” we created a new name and logo that clearly and consistently communicate our identity to our patients, their families and the communities we serve. The name of our health care system is now University Hospitals (“UH”).
University Hospitals Case Medical Center (“UHCMC”) is part of UH, a regional healthcare delivery system that includes University Hospitals Case Medical Center, University Hospitals Geneva Medical Center, University Hospitals Geauga Medical Center, University Hospitals Conneaut Medical Center, University Hospitals Bedford Medical Center, University Hospitals Richmond Medical Center, University Hospitals Extended Care Campus, University Hospitals Medical Group, University Hospitals Medical Practices, University Hospitals MacDonald Women’s Hospital, University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital, and University Hospitals Ireland Cancer Center. University Hospitals also includes a broad range of ambulatory centers, skilled nursing facilities, elderhealth and home care services that house the services of our hospitals, physicians, and other healthcare providers and are located at and branded as University Hospitals Bainbridge Health Center, University Hospitals Berea Health Center, University Hospitals Euclid Health Center, University Hospitals Madison Health Center, University Hospitals Rockside Health Center, University Hospitals Chesterland Health Center, University Hospitals Chagrin Highlands Health Center, University Hospitals Mentor Health Center, University Hospitals Westlake Health Center, University Hospitals Landerbrook Health Center, University Hospitals Willoughby Health Center, University Hospitals Suburban Health Center, University Hospitals Twinsburg Health Center, University Hospitals Concord Health Center, University Hospitals Medina Health Center, University Hospitals Foley ElderHealth Center at Fairhill Center for Aging, University Hospitals Rainbow Pediatric Specialty Center, University Hospitals Management Services Organization, University Hospitals Home Care Services and University Hospitals CompCare for the management of job related injuries.
University Hospitals has outlined a vision for the future of health care in its strategic plan known as Vision 2010, which called for investments of more than $1 billion over five years. The plan reaffirms a strong commitment to the UHCMC campus with new facilities and the expansion of services, along with new construction and enhancements to our suburban ambulatory centers. Major facilities projects include a new Cancer Hospital (opening 2011), a new Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Children’s Hospital (2009) and a new Center for Emergency Medicine (opening 2011). UH is nearing completion of the state-ofthe-art University Hospitals Ahuja Medical Center (opening 2011)
Our logo also reflects the UH brand promise of “patient-centered care” while it provides a new visual identity as part of a broader strategy to build our reputation as a healthcare leader. Our color, red, communicates confidence and boldness. The shield symbolizes protection, strength and the academic dimension of UH. The singular UH signifies the synergy between our academic and medical aspects and reinforces how the public knows us: “UH.” The three horizontal pillars in the shield represent our mission: “To Heal. To Teach. To Discover.” The curved line and dot represent a person and our commitment to people – our patients, our employees and our community. This person also exhibits health, hope and vitality and brings the logo to life with a confident and forward-looking tonality.
The name and logo unify all of our facilities, programs and services to make it easier for our community – patients, academic medical colleagues, donors and others – to better recognize us and become more aware of all we have to offer to our community.
The mission of University Hospitals Case Medical Center has remained constant for over 140 years
– To Heal, To Teach, and To Discover